11/13/2017

UN chief condoles Iran over deadly quake

Politics - United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres is deeply saddened by the loss of life and damage following the earthquake that struck the border region of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Republic of Iraq on Sunday evening, a UN official said.

According to a press release of the United Nations Information Center (UNIC) in Tehran, Stephane Dujarri, the spokesman for Guterres said UN secretary-general conveys his condolences to the bereaved families and to the Governments and people of the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Republic of Iraq.

Guterres also wishes those injured a speedy recovery, Dujarri added.

He said that the Secretary-General commends the local response efforts underway. The United Nations stands ready to assist if required.

Meanwhile, UN Representative and coordinator in Tehran Gary Lewis in a Twitter message on Monday wrote, 'Conveying sincere condolences to Government and People of Iran following last night's deadly earthquake on western border. Situation was unclear around midnight, now, as the sun rises this morning, we know more about the number of dead / injured. UN will assist if requested.'

In another development, the Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in a Twitter message wrote, 'Tragic news from Iran and Iraq today. Canadians offer their deepest sympathies to the families affected by the earthquake in the region.'

The 7.3-magnitude earthquake in Kermanshah Province, western Iran has so far claimed the lives of 210 people and injured over 2,500.
 


کدخبر: 188772