US letter delivered through 3 channels: Mehmanparast
Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said on Sunday that the US letter to Iran, concerning the Strait of Hormuz was delivered through three channels.
According to Khabar Online correspondent, the letter of the US President Barack Obama addressing Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei over the issue of closing the Strait of Hormuz, the crucial oil shipping waterway, was the key issue Mehmanparast spoke about.
“The US ambassador to the United Nations, Susan Rice sent a letter to Mohammad Khazaei, Iran’s envoy to the UN, which was conveyed by the Swiss ambassador to Tehran, Leu Agosti and at last Iraqi President Jalal Talabani delivered that to our officials,” he said.
The Foreign Ministry spokesman asserted: "Earlier the media implicated that the Americans sent their letter or conveyed its contents through a recent visit made by Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu to Tehran which was not true."
The Islamic Republic of Iran had already warned that if sanctions are imposed on exploit exports, it will close the Strait of Hormuz which will seriously endanger the oil exports of the countries in the region which are mostly the allies of the US.
The escalating economic sanctions are imposed on Iran on the pretext of Tehran's nuclear program which the West claims is meant for making atomic weapons.
As a member of the IAEA and a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), Iran dismisses such allegations stressing that its nuclear program is aimed at peaceful purposes including medical research and treatment as well as producing electricity.
Answering a question about whether the Islamic Republic of Iran has responded that letter or not, Mehmanparast: "We are considering the letter and will respond to that if it's deemed necessary."
Iran’s Foreign Ministery already sent two letters to US and British officials condemning the two countries for the recent terror of Mostafa Ahmadi-Roshan, an Iranian nuclear scientist and official.
Tehran said it has reliable documents and evidence that this terrorist act was planned, guided and supported by the CIA and through the information provided and disclosed by Britain’s spy agency, MI6.
Elsewhere in his remarks Mehmanparast pointed out that President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had formerly rejected a meeting with the King of Bahrain, Hamad ibn Isa Al Khalifa.
Iran has repeatedly condemned the crackdown of mostly Shiite protesters by Bahraini rulers as well as Saudi Arabia military intervention in the small Persian Gulf country. Bahraini officials claim that Iran has provoked the uprising of the majority Shiite people of Bahrain who are seeking more political rights.
Earlier on September 27 in New York, Iran's Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi was seen discussing with and diplomatically smiling at his Bahraini counterpart Sheikh Khaled bin Ahmed Al Khalifa.
Later two members of national security and foreign policy commission of Iran's Majlis (parliament), Parviz Sorouri and Zohreh Elahian questioned Salehi's meeting with Bahrain's Foreign Minister.
Yesterday, months later after the meeting, Mehmanparast revealed that the two foreign ministers discussed about the issues of Bahrain after Ahmadinejad refused to meet the king of Bahrain.