Publishe Date: 6:42 PM - 3/10/2014 | Print

Iran: No Compromise on National Pride, Interests in N. Talks with World Powers

Politics - Senior member of the Iranian team of negotiators Seyed Abbas Araqchi underlined that the team enjoys firm resolve to defend the nation's rights and the country's independence in the ongoing talks with the world powers.

Araqchi, who is also the Deputy Foreign Minister for International and Legal Affairs, stressed that safeguarding national dignity and independence has always been at atop the Foreign Ministry's agenda, specially during talks with the G5+1 (the five permanent UN Security members plus Germany).

He further underscored that Tehran will never accept any proposals which might contradict its independence and dignity.

On Friday, Iran and the six world powers (the five permanent UN Security Council members plus Germany) ended their expert-level talks in Vienna.

The expert talks between Iran and the six world powers lasted for three days.

The meeting was held on the sidelines of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) Board of Governors session underway is Vienna.

Experts of the seven nations discussed Iran's uranium enrichment, removal of sanctions and technical nuclear cooperation in their meeting.

IAEA Director General Yukio Amano in his recent report on Iran announced that Tehran is complying with its obligations under the deal it struck with the six world powers last November.

In his new report, Amano said 20-percent uranium enrichment “is no longer taking place” by Iran as agreed in an agreement with the six world powers.

According to a deal which took effect on January 20, the six countries undertook to provide Iran with some sanctions relief in exchange for Iran agreeing to limit certain aspects of its nuclear activities during a six-month period.

Iran and the world power also agreed that no nuclear-related sanctions will be imposed on Iran during the same period.

The report also confirmed that no additional uranium enrichment centrifuges have been installed at Iran’s Natanz and Fordo nuclear facilities.

Iran has also provided the IAEA with an updated Design Information Questionnaire (DIQ) for its Heavy Water Reactor in Arak.

“The measures implemented by Iran and the further commitments it has undertaken represent a positive step forward,” the IAEA report said.

After the November 24 interim agreement between Iran and the sextet, Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Ali Akbar Salehi underlined that Iran's enrichment right has been clearly stipulated in the Geneva accord, although the NPT had already granted the right to the country.

Following the November agreement, Iran and the Group 5+1 held several rounds of expert talks on how to enforce the deal before they could come into terms over the date for starting implementation of the agreement. Eventually on January 20, a confidential report by the IAEA said that Iran has halted its 20-percent enrichment activity under the Geneva deal. Hours later the US and the EU removed part of their sanctions against Tehran.

A month later in February, Iran and the G5+1 held a meeting in Vienna to work on a comprehensive deal and they agreed to hold a new round of talks in the same city on March 17-20.
 

Send comments
Send to a friend
Name (Optional)
Email (Optional)
Show
Website/Weblog (Optional)
Your Comments     0/700
I approve the publication, to be informed
New comments to this news, sent to my email
KhabarOnline comments that contain insults, it does not publish
Please enter the phrase in the box
= 5 + 4
Send
186355
Your name
Your e-mail
E-mail a friend
Description
Please enter the phrase in the box:
= 5 + 4
Send News
Last News
More...