A prominent Iranian lawmaker says Tehran will not withdraw from its nuclear rights in its upcoming talks with the P5+1 comprising Britain, China, France, Russia and the US plus Germany.

“Iran has always welcomed purposeful talks with a framework and has never left the negotiation table. The reason for a halt to the talks in the past was the West’s reaching a dead end,” said Majlis (parliament) National Security and Foreign Policy Committee spokesman Kazem Jalali on Tuesday.

He added that Iran will not accept any preconditions nor will it negotiate over any of its nuclear rights and properties, stressing negotiations will be successful only if introduced under international regulations.

“Whatever we have achieved so far in the field of nuclear know-how is the Iranian nation’s accomplishment. We know that if the negotiations are held based on international regulations, Iran’s nuclear rights will be officially recognized and the negotiations will be fruitful,” Jalali said.

The Iranian official also called on the P5+1 to learn lessons from the previous rounds of negotiations and remove the weaknesses in them to help begin new serious talks.

Iran and the P5+1 have held two rounds of multifaceted talks, one in Geneva in December 2010 and another in the Turkish city of Istanbul in January 2011.

Tehran says it is ready to resume the talks based on common grounds; however, it has repeatedly made it clear that it will not negotiate over any of its nuclear rights.

The United States, Israel, and some of their allies accuse Tehran of pursuing military objectives in its nuclear energy program.

Iran refutes such allegations, arguing that as a committed signatory to the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency, it has the right to use nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.

press tv/281

News Code 181684