Trump’s 25% tariffs on car imports are a ‘direct attack’ on Canada: Prime minister

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney has strongly criticized U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision to impose a 25 percent tariff on auto imports, calling it a “direct attack” on Canada.

Carney said on Wednesday that the trade war is not only harming Canada but also affecting Americans, with consumer confidence in the United States reportedly at a multi-year low.

Trump announced the tariffs on imported vehicles earlier in the day. He had previously granted a one-month exemption on tariffs for auto imports from Mexico and Canada.

They come on top of duties already imposed on steel and aluminum and on goods from Mexico, Canada, and China.

In response to the new levies, Carney vowed to defend Canadian workers, businesses, and the nation’s economy. He described the move as unjustified and revealed plans to leave his election campaign temporarily to convene a special Cabinet committee on U.S. relations in Ottawa.

Last year, the U.S. imported $474 billion in automotive products, including $220 billion worth of passenger cars. Mexico, Japan, South Korea, Canada, and Germany were the biggest suppliers.

Japanese Prime Minister Shigeru Ishiba said “all options” were on the table as Japan weighs its response to the new tariffs.

Brazil’s President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva also condemned Trump’s decision. “It will raise the prices of goods and could lead to inflation that he hasn’t yet realized,” Lula said at a press conference in Tokyo on Thursday.

News ID 199316

Your Comment

You are replying to: .
5 + 8 =