Araghchi to Trump: Speak With Evidence on Casualty Figures

Seyed Abbas Araghchi, Iran’s Foreign Minister, responded early Saturday on the social media platform X to recent remarks by Donald Trump. Trump had claimed that during the recent unrest in Iran, a large number of people were killed “in a short period of time,” adding that he felt “very bad” for the Iranian people and alleging that they had been “living in hell.”

According to KhabarOnline, Araghchi wrote in response: “In line with our commitment to full transparency toward our people, the Iranian government has previously published a comprehensive list of all 3,117 victims of the recent terrorist operations, including around 200 law enforcement personnel.” He added, “If anyone doubts the accuracy of our data, please speak with evidence.”

His remarks came after the Office of the President of Iran had issued an official statement providing statistical details about the victims of the January 2026 incidents. According to the statement, and in line with a policy of “transparency, accountability, and responsibility,” the government published the identities of 2,986 of the deceased. The names, it said, were compiled by the national forensic authority and cross-checked with the Civil Registration Organization.

Officials explained that the discrepancy of 131 cases between the previously announced total of 3,117 and the published list was due to factors such as unidentified individuals and inconsistencies in national ID records. Authorities said the figures would be updated once verification procedures are completed.

The presidential statement emphasized that “all victims of these incidents and recent unrest were children of this land” and that they should not be reduced to mere statistics. It also stressed what it described as the government’s moral and human responsibility toward the affected families.

The publication of names, the cross-verification of data, and the announcement of a review mechanism reflect what Iranian officials describe as a policy of “maximum transparency.” In contrast, Trump’s remarks—made without presenting specific figures or independent documentation—have widened the narrative gap between Tehran and Washington, turning the dispute into one centered not only on politics but also on competing data and evidence.

News ID 200620

Your Comment

You are replying to: .
1 + 5 =