US State Dept. confirms sanctions waiver for transferring Iranian funds

US State Department Spokesperson Matthew Miller has confirmed that his country has waived sanctions to allow the transfer of Iranian funds -- approximately $6 billion -- blocked in South Korea to banks in Qatar.

In a press briefing on Tuesday, the spokesperson said that Secretary of State Antony Blinken had issued the waiver on Friday, allowing the transfer of the Iranian funds from South Korean bank accounts to European accounts and then to banks in Qatar, according to the IRNA reporter in New York.

He said that the money will be used for humanitarian purposes with the final aim of the release of five US nationals held in Iran.

Those American nationals will be released in exchange for the release of five Iranians detained in the United States.

Iran’s Permanent Mission to the United Nations confirmed earlier on Tuesday the imminent release of the Iranians.

The same day, Iran’s President Ebrahim Raisi also said in an interview with NBC News in Tehran that the prisoner swap deal between Iran and the US will be completed in “due time.”

He also told the US network that the American detainees were “very healthy” and would be coming home very soon.

News ID 196054

Tags

Your Comment

You are replying to: .
1 + 8 =